This healthy appetizer is great on toast.
Pesto is one of my favorite side dishes. I use nutritional yeast for the cheese substitute and almonds for a less expensive alternative to pine nuts. The ingredients are put in a blender at a low speed to retain texture.
Be sure to use fresh basil, not dried. Alternatively you can you arugula or kale instead of basil, and pine nuts instead of almonds.
Try it and you’ll see why this vegan Italian appetizer is sure to please.
Vegan Basil Almond Pesto Recipe
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1/2 cup raw almonds preferably slices for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1 sprig fresh mint (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, leaving a few almond slices for garnish. Olive oil may also be added.
- Grind ingredients at a low speed, adding little water to produce the desired level of smoothness. Be sure to leave some texture.
- Garnish with remaining almond slices and mint.