Tastes almost like milk-based cheese.
Here’s my adaptation of a great vegan cheese recipe at The Hidden Veggies. It slices, shreds, and melts great and tastes much like real cheese. It goes great on crackers, potatoes, or just about any place. It’s great plain as well. It’s only 32 calories per serving, or 190 for the entire piece of cheese. This takes several hours to complete, mostly because the ingredients have to chill out in the fridge to harden.
Take coconut, agar agar (jelly made from algae), tapioca starch, some salt, lemon, fresh or dried herbs of your liking, as well as turmeric and paprika for color and flavor.
Mix together and warm until smooth, after which you pour into a greased container.
Let the vegan cheese mix sit in the refrigerator for several hours until it hardens.
You can cut like regular dairy cheese or even shred.
Vegan Cheese with Herbs
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (16 oz)
- 2 tbsp agar agar
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh or dried herbs
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan
- Heat to medium and stir until very smooth
- Grease a cheese mold or other shallow container (about 20-30 oz container) lightly with vegetable oil
- Pour in mixture from saucepan
- Let cool then cover and place in refrigerator to harden approximately 2-3 hours