A filling and delicious chickpea recipe.
One of our favorite cuisines is Indian. In our neighborhood we are surrounded by great Indian restaurants and sometimes make the same dishes at home. Many Indian dishes are vegetarian and can be made without milk as well.
This easy-to-make chickpea dish is full of flavor and healthy as well. The main ingredient is of courses chickpeas or garbanzo beans, otherwise known as chana or chole in the Indian subcontinent. The second part of the name, masala, is another term for “spice mix”. We use garam masala, a spice blend from Northern India. If you can’t find this you can make your own garam masala.
We hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Click here for another, just as tasty, vegan Indian recipe!
Chana Masala – Indian Chickpea Dish
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can coconut milk (optional)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cubed potatoes (optional)
- In a cooking pot, add carrots, garlic, onions, spices, and a couple of tablespoons of water and sauté on a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk, and optionally potatoes.
- Pour in 1 cup water.
- Cook on a medium heat for another 20 minutes
- Serve with rice, fresh cilantro, and papadam.