What is kimchi? It is a traditional Korean dish that is prepared with fermentation of cabbage, such as napa cabbage, together with spices such as garlic, salt, and other ingredients. Kimchi, or as some spell it kimchee, is somewhat reminiscent of sauerkraut due to the fermentation of cabbage.
The health benefits of kimchi are well known and include anticancer properties and antioxidants, as well as promoting gut health. Vegan kimchi has the same good bacteria that kimchi has that is made with fish products. It is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, and C, as well as fiber, and beneficial lactobacillus bacteria due to the fermentation process, which helps the digestive system.
There are many different recipes for kimchi, but this is an easy recipe using a few ingredients that are easy to find.
- 1 1/2 pounds napa cabbage
- 1/4 piece onion
- 1/4 piece black raddish
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 piece apple
- 2 tbsp chives
- 1 tbsp chili pepper flakes
- 1 small piece ginger fresh
- 4 tbsp himalayan salt
- 2-3 dates
- 1 carrot
- Wash cabbage thoroughly
- Soak cabbage water with 2 tbsp of salt for 3-4 hours
- Cut cabbage into 2 inch pieces
- Make a sauce by blending carrots, apple, onions, radish, garlic and ginger into a puree
- Mix cabbage, sauce, chives, chili pepper flakes and salt
- Place in a glass jar and cover the lid
- Let sit for several days to fully ferment the kimchi